12 November, 2008

Überlingen or Bust

Well, I have been in Überlingen for one week, it has been quite an adventure getting here and getting settled and I am still not fluent in Deutsch.

First there was the 6 hour train ride from Dortmond to Ulm and then the 1 and a half hour ride from Ulm to Uberlingen. The view from the train was lovely so let's begin there.

I didn't start counting the castles right away but I saw at least 8 as the train ran along the Rhine River.


I only saw one garbage dump though.

Did I mention that it was a long train ride? By the time I arrived in Überlingen I felt jet lagged all over again. It was after dark so I didn't even get to see this cute little German town that I had been promised. I was however greeted by Gerhart (one of 3 bosses) at the train station. He was able to help me and my 50 kilos of luggage (in two different bags!) to the Moserhöf.
So my biggest fear for moving to Germany had passed. Some passengers did laugh at me as I maneuvered my way through the narrow aisles of the train with two rolling suitcases a back pack and my GreenWorks messenger bag. But, no bag was left behind at any transfer point never to be found again and no train left with me left behind while my bags rode away. With the help of a few kind German rail passengers and my own sheer determination I lugged all of the worldly possessions, that I could fit into 4 bags, across the German countryside and safely to Überlingen on Bodensee.
Whew!

No comments: