05 March, 2009

Well when you put it that way...

I joined a phone conference today with some consultants in Chicago. My coworker proceeded to introduce me.

"Jaime is joining us now, she is a real native American."

The horrified look on my face quickly registered with my coworker as I interrupted and explained that,

"No no, not really, I am just from Portland".

On the other end of the line I could sense a momentary horror that similar to my own but also quickly followed by a healthy dose of American style laughter.

The first in a collection of notable moments in language confusion. Look for "Language Confusion" in the "labels" box and you will see the compiled list as it grows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that you're getting your 25 grams of daily laughter :^)

Kaia said...

haha...oh no! That's too funny! Did you explain to them that a native american is something entirely different?

Jaime said...

The American clients were already well aware of what the term "Native American" technically referred to in American English. My coworker clearly understood as well, just as soon as they spotted my look of horror, a look which I now refer to as the: "NOT PC! Alarm". It seems to go off about once a week here.