14 May, 2009

Déjà vu - Paris Part 1

On my way to Paris I wrote the following in my Journal:

Here I am on my way to Paris and I have Déjà vu. Stopping at the Karlsruhe Hofbanhof to change trains, I have found myself looking at the train departures board to find the track for the train to Paris. I am intensely aware that it is the same board I stood in front of almost exactly 4 years ago with Alyssa, Steffen and Bernward.

Alyssa and I had just spend a few days of our 3 week " We have Bachelors of Landscape Architecture degrees so lets visit all of our friends in Germany to celebrate - tour" with the boys. Bernward had 2 minutes until his train came and had to run to catch it. We made a quick goodbye.

Alyssa and I had missed our train and would have to wait another 40 minutes or so till the next one that would take us to meet Christina. So, Stephen waited with us and we had a coffee at the bakery next to the train departures board.

Today, I have about 40 minutes to wait for my high speed train to Paris so I am taking a moment to jot down this memory while having a cup of coffee in the same cafe, at possibly the same table as the one where Alyssa, Stephen and I spent our extra half an hour, enjoying each others company and discussing the interesting and surprising experiences of traveling and growing up. And again, like on that day, I am getting on another train heading out to meet Christina.

As I remeber this other trip I start to think about how great is was, how wonderful my friends were showing us around, how Alyssa and I completely nerded out on landscapes, gardens, public squares, pedestrian only town centers, renewable energy and stromwater trenches and I realize something about this trip to Paris that makes me a bit sad. Especially knowing that at the end of the trip I will be seeing Versailles.

Alyssa's not getting on the train with me.




No comments: