24 June, 2009

Dog Face Tours 2009

You'll notice that my favorite pictures in this collection are of my family visiting from the states. Uncle Johnny and Anthony can tell you what they thought of traveling in Europe. I will tell you instead how amazing it is to live for 6 months without family and then spend two weeks with with them 24/7.

I felt like I had ghosts following me around for a few days after they left. I got so used to Uncle Johnny suggesting that we get a cup of coffee at a cafe 3+ times a day, or Anthony getting excited about seeing another unusual German bird or insect. I should also mention that I will never forget the look on Anthony's face when we began to climb yet another hill or Uncle John's look when the waitress told him the bill was 15.36. He would look at me with that same dear in the headlights expression that I always imagine must be on mine when I can't understand what someone is saying to me in German. Luckily I have my numbers pretty much down.

The Independence that I have learned to embrace here is different from what I experienced in Portland in the last few years. Here it is more proactive. I had already recognized this. But the family that I experienced here was different too. It was more intense. Traveling together is so much more than a BBQ on the weekend. You get to know peoples habits and interests and quirks and have conversations that never come up in when you're in a crowd 20+ aunts, cousins, and uncles mingling at the same time (although those are great times too)...

...and you have lots of fun.


No comments: