06 September, 2009

Day two

A glorious stress free day of train travel was the perfect kick off to my well earned holidays. After two weeks of long hours trying to meet a deadline at work, Julia's arrival in Uberlingen was highly anticipated. Once she had arrived, a bit of a mystery...

She said she was at the train station... Oh where in Uberlingen could that girl be?!

Luckily for us the internet provided multiple forms of connecting: skype, yahoo chat, I found her first on facebook of course.
"Where are you?" I beeped.
"I am by the st Francis church in the internet cafe" she beeped back.
Uberlingen has an internet cafe?! I thought. I sent her a google map marking the intersection in town that she should meet me at.

Once we decided on our wild itinerary we got train tickets and started hunting for places to stay. Julia, if some of you haven't heard is my international traveling friend from UO. I feel like a Couch Kartoffel compared to Julia. She is visiting me in Germany on her way home from an internship with the UN in Botswana Africa. Julia is finishing the second year of her master's degree in public policy and planning with a focus on international development.

We have talked about traveling together for years and as we laughed our way through 9 hours on the train yesterday we kept asking why we hadn't done this sooner. I told her that she was simply too busy traveling.

By the way, I am writing from the couch in Tim's Kitchen in Hannover. He is our fabulous host from Couch Surfers and a chemistry Phd student from Australia. This is my first time couch surfing, I waited for Julia to be my guide. If you are wondering what the hell I am talking about google "couch surfing".

Many times in the past weeks I have felt the sting of realizing that I am choosing to step away from my European adventure just as I seem to be getting the hang of it.

No comments: