15 February, 2009

Winter Wonderland

We have had an on and off freeze here in Uberlingen and in the first two weeks of January it was so cold that a portion of the lake froze over. At this part of the lake, the water is shallow at about 2 or 3 feet at most. So falling through wasn't quite the danger. The lake doesn't freeze often so it was a pretty big deal when everyone heard about it, as you can see below.


People were skating, walking, sledding, sliding and slipping their way to the other side of the lake and back.

There were even a few cracks but no one else seemed too concerned.... I was relieved to see emergency service crews on the side of the lake. Although as we were leaving I was pretty sure I saw them drinking gluehwein... but maybe it was kinder punch.


We met some friends from Uberlingen and the office: Isa is in the blue, Claudia in the cream on her right and Horst in the black on Isa's left.

Birgit is skating to meet them in her new skates. I didn't have skates so I am walking at this point, but randomly Birgit's new skates are adjustable to size 43, which fit me just fine. So I was able to skate later, after we stopped for some gluehwein and hot chocolate.



I am in the middle.

No comments: