05 February, 2009

I used the word "clunky" at work today...

...and Hendrick didn't know what I meant. So I explained that shoes that are too big and heavy are "clunky". This -- lets speak German, English and Spanish in one office-- thing works, but only through some sort of miracle. Particularly when design is involved.

Design conversations are already a bit ridiculous and artificial. We describe things with so much personality and character that, in the U.S. at least, the plans ends up designing themselves. We say "Maybe the path wants to be over here..." or "Maybe the water feature wants to be more abstract" or, apparently my favorite, "I think it's feeling a bit clunky".

I really ought to be writing all of the odd little things down that I have learned and taught about the differences between the languages and cultures. But it has already become such a daily event that I forget to write anything down.

I just downloaded the photos from my camera and realized that I have actually had quite a few little adventures in the last month or so that I hadn't thought to post about until I looked at the pictures again, so don't worry, more to follow shortly.

No comments: